For 68 years, the Hunt Memorial Building served as the Nashua Public Library until the city outgrew the building and a new and larger facility was built on Court St. in 1971.
The Hunt is now owned by the city and managed by a volunteer board of trustees. Designed by noted American architect and New Hampshire native Ralph Adams Cram, the building opened to the public in 1903 and was entered on the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1971.
In May, 2004, Cram and Ferguson, successor to Ralph Adams Cram's firm, completed a Facility Master Plan for the full restoration and renovation of the Hunt. This effort is currently underway utilizing public and private funding.
In 2009 the Nashua Board of Alderman approved a City Building Improvements bond issue which included funds for for the restoration of the Hunt Building. The building was closed for contruction February 1, 2011 and the trustees expect to reopen it in Fall, 2011.
The restoration of the Hunt Memorial Building to its original splendor while making it available for public use in keeping with the intent of the original gift to the people of Nashua. The newly restored building will be available for lectures, concerts, theatre, meetings and receptions and as a home for non-profits and creative arts organizations. In addition it will provide 6 private offices/conference rooms for lease.
Our special thanks to Peter Michael Martin for the use of his paper cutting The Hunt Building - Library Hill in our banner.