All ComicFest attendees are encouraged to wear costumes of their favorite fandom character and have fun! And since you are all dressed up why not strut your stuff in our cosplay contest? The Cosplay Contest is a craftsmanship award show, with a pre-judging session and a catwalk display.
Participants will meet with the judges beforehand and have an opportunity to say a little bit about themselves and their costume. After, the participants will have a chance to walk on stage and give a short demonstration of their character performance (i.e. a 15 second skit or small in character presentation). Participants are encouraged to be creative during their time on stage by striking action poses, working with props, or calling out a character’s catch phrase.
Cosplay Contest Rules
Participants may enter in one of three categories:
- Novice: This category is for cosplayers and costume makers that have never participated in a cosplay contest or have little experience.
- Experienced: This category is for seasoned cosplayers and costume makers that may have participated in cosplay contests, even if they have never won.
- Walk-on: Participants in this category will not be judged; this is more for people that want a chance to walk on stage for the fun of it, without being considered for a prize. It is a great place for kids wearing costumes, (or goofy adults,) that want to shout a catch phrase.
Judges retain the right to bump a contestant into a higher category if they feel that a costume deserves to be recognized at a higher skill level.
Group entries are permitted.
Contestants must attend the pre-judging to participate.
Contestants will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Accuracy: Likeness to character; overall appearance; attention to detail
- Craftsmanship: The percentage of the costume that is handmade; quality of construction; maneuverability or functionality
- Performance: Stage presence; character representation; audience reaction
Prizes will be awarded for:
- Novice Accuracy
- Novice Craftsmanship
- Novice Performance
- Experienced Accuracy
- Experienced Craftsmanship
- Experienced Performance
This is a family friendly event. The Cosplay staff will eliminate any entry they deem inappropriate for family entertainment or that poses danger to the audience, building or themselves.